Restore Point Creator

divinenews

Świeżak
Reakcje/Polubienia
Miasto
Juneau, Alaska, (U.S.A.)
Re: Restore Point Creator helped by tweaking this feature.

I had trouble with windows 7 system restore not working properly/failing for years. Then I read that for a restore point to work consistently, I needed the “Volume Shadow Copy Service” to be tweaked to be always on "automatic."

I then searched google and found out how to simply put “Volume Shadow Copy Service” on automatic. Microsoft built windows to put this service default status on a lesser setting. Once I put it on automatic, I have not had any failures when I need to restore my system. I no longer live in fear of not being able to restore my computer's operating system when needed,

I found the instructions below at this link:
Zaloguj lub Zarejestruj się aby zobaczyć!

do this:

a. Click “Start”, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the Search bar and press Enter.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click “Continue”.

b. Double click “Volume Shadow Copy Service” and switch to “General” tab.

c. Change the “Startup type” to “Automatic” and click “Apply”.

d. Click “Start” and click “OK”.

Then, I reboot my computer.

----------------------

I later found “System Restore Point Utilities” and use the portable version. I set it to keep only 6 of my backups. I backup my machine daily, or whenever I use it.

fluid

super saiyajin...
Fąfel
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.6 Build 1

This new version includes a \b load of \b0 fixes.
Put in some code to handle XML issues with scheduled tasks. Inserted a handler for System.UnauthorizedAccessException crashes.
Improved backup and restore to include more data including window size preferences.
Updated packaged Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler library from version 2.0.0 to 2.5.14.
Put in a confirmation question upon closing the Task Scheduler window asking if you want to close the window if you have changed any task setting and have yet to save them.
Some code optimizations have been done and some legacy code was removed.
Fixed some issues with window placements.
Optimized many of the WMI queries used to retrieve system information.
Removed some unnecessary threads from the main window load routine which resulted in improved main window loading times.
Fixed the Event Log Viewer on Windows XP in which it didn't work at all.
Improved performance of the Event Log Viewer.
Fixed an issue in the Event Log Viewer in which the wrong icon was being associated with an Error-type message.
Added a Shadow Copy Mounting tool.
Added a tool to set the Wake Timers setting for Windows Power Plans back to the default Disabled setting.
This function was requested by Mark Asap.
Fixed a possible Null Reference Exception that may occur if threads don't sync properly.
Fixed user input validation issues on the Delete Old System Restore Points and Check for Updates interval setting dialog. Apparently the Microsoft .NET IsNumeric() check isn't catching all user input issues.
Wrote a replacement function that contains a Regular Expression-based check for the default .NET provided IsNumeric() function for user input validation.
Put in possible workaround on the Task Scheduler window for System.IO.FileNotFoundException.
Fixed contact URL in program, two extra spaces somehow were put into the URL making it an invalid URL. Put in a handler for System.OverflowException on the "Delete Old System Restore Points", "Keep X Amount of Restore Points", and "Check for Updates Every"

fluid

super saiyajin...
Fąfel
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.6 Build 2

Fixed Microsoft.Win32.TaskScheduler.NotSupportedPriorToException on the Create Restore Point at User Logon form.
Added a contact form to the program so you don't have to use the form on the web site to send an email to me.
Put in a handler for a System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception in the launchURLInWebBrowser() function

Camel1965

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.6 Build 4
March 10, 2016 -- Version 3.6 Build 4
Build 3 was an internal test build so I'm skipping to Build 4. Fixed Event Log Viewer on Windows XP in which there would be an error message that reads "The event log 'System Restore Point Creator' on computer '.' does not exist.". Improved performance of the Change Log window in which it now loads the change log far faster than in the past. Implemented SSL for many of the things that the program does including downloading new binaries, checking for updates, and submitting crash and contact form data. SSL is disabled on Windows XP since Windows XP lacks support for SSL SNI. You can turn off SSL by going to Program Options/Settings and uncheck "Use SSL". Improved upon the checking of task folders. Included a check for the existance of the task folder before attempting to create tasks.

Portable:

fluid

super saiyajin...
Fąfel
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.6 Build 5

Made it so that disk space usage bars on the Show Disk Space Usage window are made red if the usage is higher than 90%. HTTP Web Proxy support has been implemented.

Camel1965

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.6 Build 6
March 15, 2016 -- Version 3.6 Build 6
Improvements have been done to several HTTP web related functions to simplify code. Checking for updates sometimes won't trigger the creation of a Please Wait window, this has been corrected. Removed some unnecessary HTTP calls in some functions.

Portable:

Camel1965

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.6 Build 7
March 17, 2016 -- Version 3.6 Build 7
This is a minor update. The Shadow Copy Mounting tool no longer mounts shadow copy instances to a hardcoded folder, the tool has been instructed to mount to a folder based upon where the currently running version of Windows is installed on. Before it was hardcoded to mount to C:\shadowcopy, this may cause issues with dual-boot setups in which the boot drive may not necessarily be the C Drive.

Portable:

Camel1965

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.6 Build 8
March 19, 2016 -- Version 3.6 Build 8
At the request of a user, whenever a completely new version is released the program will no longer force you to update to the newest version. It will now ask you if you want to upgrade to the newest version and if you say No the program will automatically disable the automatic check for updates routine. Restoring a configuration backup will cause the program to close and reload so that the new settings are loaded by the program.

Portable:

fluid

super saiyajin...
Fąfel
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.6 Build 9

From this point forward all updates are optional; the program will ask you if you want to upgrade to the newest version. The new version will no longer be forced upon you. To those users who I've offended with this forced update policy, I apologize. However, you can make the program perform like it did before this change (it tells you an update is available and just does it) by going to Program Options/Settings and uncheck "Ask Before Upgrading/Updating". This is to give the user the option to either have it ask every time or to just go ahead and install the update. Several people have slammed me for acting like Microsoft with their Windows 10 update strategy. These changes have made it so that I'm... slightly less despised than Microsoft.

Camel1965

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.6 Build 10
Fixed the crash data submission form in which it wasn't working. This was due to a configuration change on the server end of things, not the program itself. This has been fixed by implementing a workaround in the program. Fixed the Configuration Backup tool that prevented the internal settings from being saved properly. Configuration backups are now being written to an encoded file type with a checksum as part of the file. This is to help ensure that nobody can tamper with the data in the backup file. Windows XP users will continue to use the original INI file format while Windows Vista (and newer) users will have the option to use the new data encoded file type. Many of the options and settings in the Program Options/Settings menu have been moved to a sub-item of Program Options/Settings called "Additional Options and Settings". This is to help split up the menu into two parts since the Program Options/Settings menu has so many options in it. This was requested by André Derry. Removed the limitations of the "Interface too small? Enable this option" option to appear on all versions of Windows, not just Windows 8.x and Windows 10. When viewing an Event Log and you view a log entry that contains Exception data, the program will ask you if you want to submit the Exception data. This behavior can be turned off if you so wish by unchecking the checkbox at the bottom of the window titled "Ask me if I want to submit a crash report if I view an Event Log Entry that contains Exception data".

Portable:

Camel1965

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.7 Build 1
April 11, 2016 -- Version 3.7 Build 1
After several public betas and release candidates, I present to you the first version 3.7 build. This new version includes A LOAD of fixes. Fixed selection of Event Log entries in the Event Log Viewer in which the display of the Event Log Entry didn't change unless you clicked on the list of event logs. This was caused by a regression that occurred in Version 3.6 Build 10. Implemented a whole new version update notification dialog to provide even more information to users. This is all in an effort to provide users with more control over how the program updates itself. New beta and release candidate versions will provide change log documentation. Moved many of the settings in the Program Options/Settings that have to do with software updates to be sub-items of a menu called "Software Update Settings". You can find the "Software Update Settings" menu as a sub-item of Program Options/Settings. This is to help clean up the Program Options/Settings menu to take up less space and to bring some organization to the Program Options/Settings menu. Fixed an edge case issue that could result in a program crash when deleting selected restore points. Thanks goes out to George for reporting this issue. Reworked the way the program boots the system into Safe Mode to perform a System Restore in Safe Mode. Included possible fix for old restore points being deleted by Windows itself. Included a handler for "BadImageFormatException" exceptions. Included a way for people to tell what version they have when the program pulls down the beta change log in the update dialog. Included a handler for a "ObjectDisposedException" exception with the Please Wait window. This should cause the program to handle the exception internally in a silent manner and (hopefully) allow the program to continue functioning normally. Included new code to parse command line arguments when relaunching the program with Admin user rights. Included a new "Launch with forced UAC prompt" jumplist task. Included several new icons for menu items. Fixed the placement of the buttons on the bottom of the main window on systems running Windows XP. Included a handler for "COMException" exceptions. Removed some unneeded stuff from the crash display window since the "COMException" handler will redirect users to how to handle it instead of having the text in the program itself. Fixed automated batch processing and deletion of old restore points in which the program ended up in an unending loop with the Please Wait window being shown with no way of closing it. Thanks goes out to JJ Menning for reporting this issue to me. Implemented even more checks than there already were for Null References (believe me, there's lot of them!) in the updateSystemRestorePointsList() function that's used to load the restore point list.

Portable:

fluid

super saiyajin...
Fąfel
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.7 Build 2

Includes some changes to several web-related functions that deal with HTTP data.

Restore Point Creator 3.7 Build 3

Fixed crash on startup for Windows XP users. This issue only effected Windows XP users. Normally I don't test on Windows XP since Microsoft doesn't officially support Windows XP anymore.

Camel1965

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.7 Build 4
April 15, 2016 -- Version 3.7 Build 4
Included a search tool in the Event Log Viewer that you can use to search the entries for keywords in the event log text. You can also use more powerful Regular Expressions to search but that's geared towards power users. Changed the way that the program contacts my server to check for updates. Full and complete changelogs are now out of beta. Even more information is being provided to you, the user, so that you know exactly what each update does and each past update did since the version you currently have installed. The disabling of automatic updates doesn't occur if you say No to a minor update. Minor updates were not being handled properly in the update notification window.

Portable:

Camel1965

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.8 Build 1
April 17, 2016 -- Version 3.8 Build 1
Users will have to download a new installation of this program to update it manually due to an issue that cropped up in the last version. I apologize for this issue, the issue is a result of a rather dumb mistake that occurred when I was hurrying out a fix in Version 3.7 Build 4. New testing and code validation procedures will be implemented from this point on so as to help make sure that a mistake such as this will never occur again. I messed up pretty badly with this mistake. The issue will result in a full program crash. Fixed a rare issue in the showDonationNotice() function in which a NullReferenceException could occur. Thanks goes out to "Richard" for reporting this issue. Fixed another rare issue in which a ObjectDisposedException could occur in the Please Wait window if just the right circumstances come up to trigger it. Again, this is a very rare issue. Thanks goes out to Beanz Elang for reporting this issue. Fixed an issue when checking for updates.

Portable:

fluid

super saiyajin...
Fąfel
Reakcje/Polubienia
Restore Point Creator 3.9 Build 1

Included some additional registry tweaks to help improve the performance of system restore on Windows 8.x and Windows 10 systems. Fixed creating restore points on Windows XP. This has been a long standing bug that's never been reported to me. I'm wondering if I should just pull Windows XP support from this program altogether since based upon the fact that nobody reported this issue to me there must be no one running this program on Windows XP. Fixed Event Log Viewer on Windows XP in which the event log types weren't having any icons associated it. Changed the wording in the textbox at the top of the main window where you type in a name for your restore point. A Registry setting is set by the program upon setting the system up for Safe Mode boot and when the system comes up into Safe Mode the Safe Mode boot flag is deleted along with the Registry value telling the program that it needs to remove the Safe Mode boot flag. Hopefully this will make sure that the user never gets stuck in a Safe Mode without the ability to get out of it. But if you somehow find yourself stuck in Safe Mode, open Restore Point Creator, click on Program Options/Settings and click "Stuck in Safe Mode? Remove Safe Mode Boot Option". Included a handler for ManagementException. Made it so that when pulling down the beta change log it acts more like the way it pulls down the changes for the regular versions. Did some work on the server response parsing code used to parse the response from the web server when checking for updates. Fixed some crash issues on the Mount Volume Shadow Copy window.

Do góry