Summer Olympics Games - Tokyo 2020

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Summer Olympics 2020 in Tokyo is started... in 2021.

9wM0Bar.png

Ostatnia edycja:

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Opening ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
hfRHgwE.png

Poland's Team enter during the opening ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
YW4G8K3.png

Polish athletes during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games opening ceremony
IKz1icy.png

China's Yang Qian wins first gold medal of Tokyo Olympics
fMapFqP.png

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Dutch cyclist Annemiek van Vleuten crossed the line and thought she'd won cycling gold. Threw her arms up in the air, her face expressed ecstasy and joy... But she didn't win gold. Why? Riders in the Olympic road race cannot communicate with their team and directors via radios as they are used to doing in other races.

Anna Kiesenhofer from Austria was the very first rider to attack in the Olympic of the 137-kilometre road race. Four other riders joined her: Carl Oberholzer (South Africa), Omer Shapira (Israel), Vera Looser (Namibia) and Anna Plichta (Poland). After Looser and Oberholzer were dropped, Kiesenhofer attacked her two remaining breakaway companions and time-trialled her way to the finish for over 40km.

The peloton caught up with the escapes Kiesenhofer's two breakaway companions, Anna Plichta and Omer Shapira within the final five kilometers. Nobody knew that there was another runaway who was now driving alone for the gold medal. Simply all forgot about Kiesenhofer, who was ahead of them.

“Yes... I thought I had won. I was wrong,” Annemiek Van Vleuten tearfully told reporters as Dutch media labelled it a major blunder. Another Dutch rider, Anna van der Breggen, said after the race: “It is the only championship without communication. You actually have to count how many riders you take back. I tried to count and thought we would I saw 1.35 minutes on the board and thought: we can still make it. But it turned out to be the difference between Kiesenhofer and the pursuers.”

The new Olympic Champion, Anna Kiesenhofer, has a PhD in mathematics after studying at the Technical University of Vienna as well as at Cambridge University before completing her doctorate in Catalonia in 2016 alongside her racing career. She currently works at the University of Lausanne, combining research with teaching. Life is always full of surprises....

The Big Loser - Dutch Annemiek van Vleuten
kne8lS9.png

Olympic Champion in the Road Race - Austrian Anna Kiesenhofer
Mw64TtL.png

Ostatnia edycja:

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Tunisian swimmer Ahmed Hafnaoui unexpectedly, not to say sensational, won the gold medal in the 400m freestyle at the Tokyo Olympics. He got the time of 3:43:36 and won. Australian Jack McLoughlin came second and American Kieran Smith third. His coach went mad with happiness after the victory of his ward and performed a crazy dance on the grandstand.

In early 2021, he was six seconds slower than the final result. The eighteen-year-old had entered the final as the underdog, having qualified eighth from the prelims in a time of 3:48:68. How it's possible? I don't know.

After the race, Hafnaoui said: “I just can't believe that, it's amazing. I felt better in the water this morning than yesterday [... ] “I just put my head in the water and that's it. It's a dream come true.”

Hafnaoui became the first African and Arab to win a gold medal in a swimming competition that was dominated by Australians and Americans for decades. The young Tunisian swimmer has strong athletic genes, with his father Mohamed Hafnaoui a former member of the national basketball team.

Now his next dream is to travel to the United States, where he would like to continue his education. Such a story about a swimming Cinderella.

Ahmed Hafnaoui - Joy of Victory
LJ2Hjv9.png

Olympic Champion in the 400m Freestyle - Tunisian Ahmed Hafnaoui
kb41PEA.png

Ostatnia edycja:

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Historic Swiss hat-trick in women’s mountain biking. Cross, road and… gold for Jolanda Neff, silver for Sina Frei, bronze for Linda Indergand.

Jolanda Neff reigned supreme all throughout while most riders struggled to navigate the tough race course after a heavy rain. Despite having broken her hand six weeks ago before the Olympic competition, the 28-year-old Swiss, bicycle phenomenon, was “walking” like Swiss clockwork. Other cyclists called the 4.1 km cross-country track one of the most difficult MTB routes in the history of the Olympic Games.

The race was attended by a Pole, Maja Wloszczowska, who took 20th place. Previously, Maja and Jolanda rode in the same teams: Giant Pro XC Team, Liv Pro XC Women's Team and Kross Racing Team. The Polish cyclist shared her knowledge and experience with her friend. Jolanda has often said: My hero is Polish mountain biker Maja Wloszczowska. Soon the pupil bests the teacher. The Queen is dead, long live The Queen. That's life. No sentiments.

Gold-Silvery-Bronze Team from Swiss
wqhH9MU.png

Philippines has a new national heroine. Hidilyn Diaz won the first Olympic gold medal for her country after nearly 100 years. She won it in the 55 kg category in women's weightlifting. And she set an Olympic record.

After the victory, Hidilyn Diaz said: “I sacrificed a lot. I wasn't able to be with my mother and father for how many months and years and then of course, training was excruciating.” In turn, the Philippine Daily Inquirer commented shortly: “But God had a plan.”

Diaz will receive at least 33 million pesos – about $600,000 – from the country. She has also been offered two homes. It's good that her success was appreciated. Nevertheless, weightlifting isn't a discipline for women. They have biceps like men, powerful thighs and... Best if I leave it without further comment.

Strong Woman - Hidilyn Diaz from Philippines
QlmHl3X.png

Ostatnia edycja:

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Poland has clocked up its first medal at the Tokyo Olympics with a silver in the women’s quadruple sculls. That's what I thought that it was women who would win the first medal for Poland.Congratulations.:ok

After the murderous fight for the second place, the Polish women defeated rowers from the Netherlands and Germany. Out of competition there was a team from China. The Polish women sailed in the following line-up: Agnieszka Kobus-Zawojska, Marta Wieliczko, Maria Sajdak and Katarzyna Zillmann.

Journalists asked one of the Polish rowers what she had seen in the last few meters. “Darkness!” she screamed in answer. Anyway, her friends used to say the same thing.

Poland's women's quadruple sculls team has been making steady progress for almost 10 years, taking eighth place at the 2012 London Olympics then a bronze medal four years later in Brazil. And now a silver medal in Tokyo.

A few years ago, all the media in Poland wrote about rower that now won a silver medal. In April 2017 during a training session in Torun Katarzyna Zillmann saw a man jump from a bridge into the river. She was able to save him from drowning before medical crews arrived on the scene. A brave woman.

Polish Silver Bullets from Tokyo
8X3nEkR.png

Polish Silver Bullets from Tokyo II
Dce2vfw.png

Flora Duffy wins women's triathlon for Bermuda's first-ever Olympic gold. Bermuda hadn't medaled at the Olympics since Clarence Hill's bronze in heavyweight boxing in Montreal in 1976.

Bermuda, the island in the Atlantic – with its population of about 62,000, became the smallest country to win gold at a summer Olympic Games. “I think the whole Bermuda is going crazy, that’s what makes it so special.” said Duffy.

After God Save the Queen, the official national anthem of Bermuda, had been played, Duffy said she had never been tempted when Team Great Britain had tried to recruit her as a teenager because of her dual nationality, even though more resources and money.

Bermuda Premier David Burt took to Twitter to congratulate Duffy, “You've worked so hard and you've made an entire island proud!” he said. I like such stories. A small country, but athletes with a big heart.

Flora Duffy - Iron Woman from Bermuda
6h6AAQY.png

Ostatnia edycja:

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Five years after their victory at Rio 2016, fantastic Fiji have once again won gold in rugby sevens beating in final New Zealand 27-12 at the Tokyo Stadium.

After winning, the “Flying Fijians” hugged tearfully, prayed silent prayers, to finally stand together in a circle on the grass and with closed eyes, sang traditional ‘Da Sa Qaqa’ song.

Winning the gold medal meant a great deal to many of the players, but none more so than Asaeli Tuivuaka and Josua Vakurinabuli, who both paid tribute to lost family members after winning. The latter said: “I am a prison officer back home. My father passed away in the last year. I was working hard during the pandemic doing night shifts and day shifts. I have a baby boy who is one year old and I have not seen him for four months. It is tough for me but it gives me strength to think about my boy and my dad. This gold medal is for them.”

Rugby fans say this is a sport for real men. They also add that Rugby is a religion and a lifestyle. There are no celebrities or media stars among them. Faster you'll find a list of famous people who played rugby at one point in their lives, for example Russell Crowe, Daniel Craig, Benedict Cumberbatch...

Some poet wrote:
Rugby, what a beautiful and passionate game
Its not about money, fashion or fame...

There is something about it...

Tough Guys from Fiji
sp41aJa.png

Primoz Roglic wins gold for Slovenia in men's the individual time trial. Roglic completed the hilly 44.2 km course in a time of 55:04 (48.2 km/h average.

Roglic’s victory comes roughly three weeks after he abandoned the Tour de France, having crashed heavily on stage 3. “I just went out – I had nothing to lose, I just went all out from kilometre zero and fought for every kilometre and I managed to come to the finish. That was my job, and I did it good and the time said it was enough for the gold medal and I'm super pleased for that,” Roglic said after the medal ceremony.

Before that, Roglic was a promising ski jumper. He was successfuls as a junior, but it wasn't until he was involved in a serious accident while ski jumping that he decided to pursue cycling. He took part in the international ski jumping competition in Szczyrk, Poland for the last time in 2011 and officially ended his ski jumping career the following year. In one of the interviews he said that his hero is the Polish ski jumper Adam Malysz.

Life is twisted. We never know where it will lead us. Some will go to the gold medal, others to the hell.

Primoz Roglic - Snow Cyclist from Slovenia
94Gm4aN.png

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
South African swimmer Tatjana Schoenmaker won a gold medal in women's 200-meter breaststroke with a historic world record time of 2:18:95 seconds. She improved old record the 2:19:11 set by Denmark's Rikke Moller Pedersen in 2013.

And by the looks of it, Schoenmaker also surprised herself. Broadcast cameras captured the moment she saw her results. Eyes wide, she raised her arms above her head and, visibly excited, began to scream before covered her face.

“It’s amazing! It still feels so unreal. It’s such a big moment… it’s the goodness of God,” she said after the victory. Afterwards she also referred to her reaction in the pool - “I think my emotions in the pool showed I was pretty shocked.”

What can I say, Schoenmaker just rocked the pool.

During the victory ceremony, Schoenmaker welled up in tears after receiving her gold medal. She has worked hard for her success. Swimmer trains for up to six hours a day, with eight or nine swim sessions a week at the University of Pretoria in South Africa. Her routine also includes gym work.

Her idols are South African swimmers Penelope Heyns and Chad le Clos, swimmer from USA Michael Phelps and Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt.

Miss Shock & Rock! ('N Roll) - Tatjana Schoenmaker from South Africa
G13IWxC.png

China wins women's 4x200 freestyle relay with world record.

The brick favorites for the title were Australians. There was talk of a 4-5 second advantage at the finish line, it was supposed to be a swimming knockout. Meanwhile, everything turned out quite differently.

Chinese quartet of Yang Junxuan, Tang Muhan, Zhang Yufei and Li Bingjie finish in 7:40.33 ahead of the United States (7:40.73) and Australia (7:41.29). All three teams were under the previous world record of 7:41:50 set by Australia at the 2019 world championships.

“We didn't expect to win the race because the Americans and Australians are so strong,” said Zhang. She added, “The team strategy was to come third. Our plan was to beat the Canadian team for third place. That's what we planned for.”

It should be added that Zhang Yufei earlier on the same day won the gold medal in the 200 m butterfly. She also won silver in the 100m butterfly. Zhang is dubbed China's "Butterfly Queen" ever since dominating the 2018 Asian Games with three golds and a silver.

World records should enjoy fans... but there is also a dark side of sport. Will it not turn out in a few years that not all athletes fought fairly? If everyone still applies a rule classical ideal: 'A sound mind in a sound body’? Maybe it is already too late. It's money makes the world go around...

Golden Piranhas from China
FfhtweY.png

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Poland win first gold medal in the 4x400 mixed relay. The Polish team, comprising Karol Zalewski, Natalia Kaczmarek, Justyna Swiety-Ersetic and Kajetan Duszynski, clinched their victory in a time of 3:09:87, setting a new European and Olympic record. Dominican Republic won silver and the United States took bronze.

The U.S. were the favourites after winning the event at the 2019 World Championships. Later events took an unexpected turn. First, the American and Dominican relay teams were disqualified for exchanging the batons outside the changeover zone in Friday. However, the organizers restored them, citing the judge's mistake. This meant that Germany, who had the worst time in the qualifying rounds, would not run in the final. In this situation they submitted a counterprotest which was included. Maybe it's good happened. Now no one will be able to diminish the success of the Poles. This gave rise to a strange situation. Nine teams were to perform in Saturday's final.

Later, a surprising decision of the Polish coach who made three changes before the final race compared to the qualifying rounds. “Matusinski's gambit” brought a desired success.

What a race! The fight for the medal was absolutely epic, amazing and and dramatic! Polish team ran fantastic. Everyone, both men and women, did their best. A dangerous event took place during the third shift in the Polish relay race. My heart sank. The Dominican rider, who finished the race, unexpectedly she leave the track just in front of the running Polish Justyna Swiety-Ersetic. I thought there was going to be a collision. Then Poland would not have won any medal. Did she do it on purpose? I do not know. On the last shift fantastically ran Kajetan Duszynski. The Polish runner smashed competitors! “I can't believe it. It is a dream since childhood. It has come true,” Duszynski said after picking up Poland's first gold medal of the Tokyo Games.

Stirred, Not Shaken - Kajetan Duszynski from Poland
T9Cz0nG.png

Polish Relay Was Okay
8wTVTgS.png

Kiran Badloe won wins RS:X windsurfing gold medal for the Netherlands.

Badloe told reporters on Thursday that the gold will be his if he could stay out of trouble and not do anything that would get him disqualified from the competition. That left Thomas Goyard of France and Mattia Camboni of Italy set to battle it out for silver and bronze, with Poland's Piotr Myszka set to pounce should they slip up. “I knew these guys were going to push hard because they were all fighting for a medal, and I stayed as far away and as clear from everybody as I could,” Badloe said of his strategy to stay out of trouble and secure the gold.

All three jostled for position at the start before taking off quickly and were subsequently found by officials to have started early, leading them to be disqualified from the race.

French windsurfer Thomas Goyard thought he had blown his chance of an Olympic medal when he was disqualified from Saturday’s RS:X windsurfing medal race, but the disqualification of two rivals saw him secure a silver despite his transgression. “I was a bit lost, but finally I understood that I still had chances for medals ... it was a very long, long end of the race for me,” Goyard told reporters following the medal ceremony. From hell to heaven.

Flying Dutchman - Kiran Badloe
mzHlunv.png

Ostatnia edycja:

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Elaine Thompson-Herah of Jamaica wins gold medal in women’s 100 meters in Olympic record 10.61 seconds.

Thompson-Herah led a Jamaican sweep of the event, with Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce second in 10.74 and Shericka Jackson third in 10.76. “I am really excited to come back and retain my title. My chest hurts, I am so happy,” said Thompson-Herah.

Thompson-Herah's new Olympic record, is better than Florence Griffith-Joyner's time of 10.62 set in 1988. The latter still holds the world record of 10.49, which she also set that year. Griffith-Joyner is the only woman in history to run 100 meters faster than Thompson-Herah.

“Last month I didn’t think I would stand here to retain my title. I’ve struggled with my (Achilles) injury for five years and for me to stay focused, hold my composure … there’s nothing more to prove,” gold medalist summed up his performance.

Privately she is cooking connoisseur and fashion fanatic. Who is her role model? Bob Marley? No. Her idol has always been Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt.

Gold in Reggae Rhythm. Silver and Bronze Too. Elaine Thompson-Herah - Jamaican Gazelle.
zls3wBj.png

Qatar’s Mutaz Essa Barshim and Gianmarco Tamberi of Italy have won the men’s high jump gold at the Tokyo Olympics.

Both jumpers were clean at every attempt to 2.37 meters. After three failures at 2.39, they entered a conversation with an Olympic official, who first offered them a “jump-off” to decide the matter.

The Qatari asked “Can we not have two golds?” The official responded “It's possible if you both decide”. Before he had finished speaking Barshim offered Tamberi his hand to agree to sharing the gold and the pair shared an emotional hug. Jumpers looked more than happy to share the glory, with Tamberi howling in delight and rolling around the track. The decision to share the medal was overwhelmingly well received on social media.

“It is unreal,” Barshim said. “It is crazy I am so happy, man. It was the only thing missing. Now I am complete, I am so happy.” Barshim was the silver medalist at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games and was also on the podium with a bronze medal at the 2012 London Games. Gianmarco Tamberi is a former world indoor champion. Maksim Nedasekau of Belarus won the bronze medal. He also cleared 2.37 for a national record.

Gentleman's Agreement - Qatar’s Mutaz Barshim & Italy’s Gianmarco Tamberi
VonknB5.png

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Venezuela's Yulimar Rojas smashes women's triple jump world record to claim gold

Rojas broke the Olympic record in the first round of Sunday's final at the Tokyo Games. She went through four more rounds before made a perfect jump with a mark of 15.67 metres on her last attempt, improving on the old record of 15.50m that Inessa Kravets of Ukraine set in 1995.

“I am lost for words, I can’t describe this feeling and this moment. Gold medal winner, with an Olympic record, and a world record. Wow. It is a fantastic night,” said Rojas, who became the first Venezuelan woman to win am Olympic gold medal.

Patricia Mamona of Portugal won silver with 15.01m, a national record. The bronze went to Spain's Ana Peleteiro with 14.87, also a national record.

Yulimar Rojas won world titles in 2017 and 2019 and took a silver medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics. At the beginning of his career, she wanted to play volleyball at her local sports centre in Anzoategui, Venezuela, but there was not a team there.

However, the athletics coach Jesus Velasquez noticed her and persuaded her to get involved in track and field instead. She tried high jump, 100m hurdles, and long jump, until she and her coach discovered she had an edge in triple jump. Now she is associated with the Spanish club FC Barcelona.

Jump! Jump! Jump! Like a Kangaroo - Yulimar Rojas from Venezuela
cM4SCv3.png

Italy’s Lamont Marcell Jacobs wins men’s 100m gold at Tokyo Olympics

The race got underway in nervy circumstances when GB's Zharnel Hughes was disqualified for a false start. Jacobs made a good start in the final and his time of 9.80 seconds is a new European record. With that time, he would also win the final in Rio 2016, where Usain Bolt finished in 9.81sec. Fred Kerley of the United States came away with the silver medal when he posted a personal best 9.84 while Canada’s Andre de Grasse took a second-straight bronze medal at the Olympics with a 9.89-second run.

After winning the run, Jacobs unleashed a primal roar and flexed his biceps, macho-man style. “It is amazing, it is fantastic, it is a dream, Olympic champion in the 100m, I have no words,” Jacobs admitted, his words racing every bit as fast as his legs.

Three weeks ago the bookmakers gave Jacobs a 3% chance of winning. He had broken 10 seconds in the 100m twice earlier this year and won the 60-meter dash at the European Indoor Championships in Poland in March.

Jacobs was born in El Paso, United States, where his father was from, a soldier who was based near Venice. But he grew up alongside his Italian mother, who took him to the country from the age of 2. More recently, his mental coach persuaded him to get back in touch with his father, an African‑American who lives in Texas and to whom he rarely spoke since his parents had broken up when he was a baby.

His idol is British Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton. In life, he is guided by the principle: If you insist and resist, you reach and conquer.

Fast As a Cheetah - Italy's Lamont Marcell Jacobs
WGN0hwr.png

josephine

Bardzo aktywny
Zasłużony
Reakcje/Polubienia
Polish day in Tokyo. Poles won four medals.:ok:ok:ok:ok

Poland homes silver in women's 500m kayak doubles.

Poland's Karolina Naja and Anna Pulawska won the silver medal in the women's kayak double 500 metres competition at the Tokyo Olympics. New Zealand's Lisa Carrington and Caitlin Regal won the gold medal while Hungary's Danuta Kozak and Dora Bodonyi took the bronze medal. Carrington had won gold in the K1 200m final just over an hour earlier.

This is the third Olympic medal for Naja, who won bronze together with Beata Mikolajczyk in London in 2012, and in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.

Karolina Naja follows a simple rule in her life: “Step by step”. She was honored with the Silver Cross of Merit by the president of Poland in 2013. She said got involved in the sport with her friends. “Canoeing is a unique sport. At first it was fun and an adventure. Later it became a way of life.”

Anna Pulawska started training together with her twin sister. In one of the interviews, she said: “First we attended music school, because my sister and I loved singing. However, our teacher said that we were super-active kids and she suggested to our mum to enrol us in some sport classes. From the window at our home we could see a lake and canoeists, so we chose canoeing. We liked it immediately.” She likes music and playing violin.

Polish Pocahontas - Karolina Naja & Anna Pulawska
fWMu3Ve.png

Tadeusz Michalik won an Olympic bronze medal in the 97 kg category in classic-style wrestling.

In the duel for this puck he defeated the Hungarian Alex Gergo Szoke ahead of time (10: 0). The fight lasted only less than two minutes. The Hungarian was punished for his passivity on the ground floor, and Michalik took the opportunity, fitted him with a handle and made the carts. For a moment, the judges analyzed this action, but in the end there was no doubt and announced the victory of the Pole. “I know that if I get a medal, I think I'll cry a second time,” he said after the fight.

The 30-year-old athlete repeated the achievement of his older sister Monika Michalik, who won the Olympic bronze at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in 2016. The Pole underwent two heart operations less than a year and a half ago. His role model is Polish wrestler and his sister Monika Michalik.

Surprisingly Agile Wrestler - Tadeusz Michalik
p7BeEdc.png

Poland wins gold and bronze in women's hammer throw.

Poland's Anita Wlodarczyk won an Olympic gold in Tokyo, dominating the women's hammer throw final. Another Pole, Malwina Kopron, has won bronze. Having launched the hammer 78.48 metres in the fourth round, Wlodarczyk has become the first woman to win Olympic gold in three Olympic Games in the same discipline. She has also been a world record holder since August 28, 2016 when she launched the hammer 82.98 metres. China's Wang Zheng took the silver on her final throw of 77.03 and Poland's Malwina Kopron finished with the bronze with a throw of 77.03 metres.

After the final, Wlodarczyk spoke about what it means to her to become the first woman in history to win three Olympic golds in an individual event. She originally won a silver medal in the hammer throw at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, but in October 2019 she was promoted to the gold medal position after Tatyana Lysenko from the Russian Federation was disqualified due to an anti-doping violation.

“I feel good. I was dreaming of becoming the queen of the hammer throw,” she said after the victory. “I have been injured and came right back from it and won an Olympic medal.” She likes cooking, reading and traveling. The model for her are Polish hammer thrower Kamila Skolimowska and Polish sprinter Irena Szewinska-Kirszenstein. She was honoured with the Officer's Cross of the Order of Polonia Restituta in 2016.

Her compatriot Malwina Kopron initially did karate and swimming until she was encouraged to try athletics by her grandfather. She said her story was something like this: “My story is very simple, my grandfather was my first coach and he inspired a love for athletics in me which lasts until today. When I began in hammer, many people laughed at me and they kept telling me that I wouldn't be able to perform at a high level. However, at my first national championships I won a bronze medal, which was just the beginning. I kept training hard and noticed the progress I made and I kept winning more medals at national competitions, in both hammer and javelin.”

Queen of Hammer - Anita Wlodarczyk from Poland
rewn0Ms.png

Hammer's Glamour - Poland's Malwina Kopron
QeOW8Zg.png

Ostatnia edycja:
Do góry