Enforce SafeSearch (Search Engines) and Lock YouTube Restricted Mode

khanyash

Bardzo aktywny
Ekspert
Reakcje/Polubienia
How to enforce SafeSearch on Google, Bing, and lock YouTube Restricted Mode on your kids computer/on your computer

There are a few methods, and I'm sharing one that I use and find better compared to others. With this method, SafeSearch on Google, Bing, and YouTube Restricted Mode cannot be disabled. And the restrictions cannot be bypassed by cleaning browsers, logging in, and using a VPN.

You need to add the following entries at the end of your hosts file and save it.

Kod:
Zaloguj lub Zarejestruj się aby zobaczyć!

How to add the entries in the hosts file

1. In Windows, click the Windows key and type Notepad.
2. Right click on Notepad and choose Run as Administrator.
3. Click Yes when Windows asks if you want this program to make changes.
4. In Notepad, open your hosts file. In most Windows installations, this is located at: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts
5. Add the entries at the end of hosts file.
6. Save the hosts file.

To confirm SafeSearch is on, go to
/
and check that SafeSearch is on by default and can't be turned off.
To confirm Restricted Mode is on, go to
and check that Restricted Mode is on by default and can't be turned off.
To confirm YouTube strict.restricted.mode or moderate.restricted.mode (check note below), go to

Note:

1. The mentioned YouTube entries enforce strict.restricted.mode. To enforce moderate.restricted.mode, change the last digits 120 to 119.
2. To enforce SafeSearch on Google, add the entry for google.com (and any
you may use).

Ostatnia edycja:

khanyash

Bardzo aktywny
Ekspert
Reakcje/Polubienia
I shared the above method as I’m looking for a Parental Control setup for kids between 9-12 years old.

Here is the Parental Control setup I’m using.
Along with the hosts file method mentioned in the opening post, I have added Cloudflare Malware and Adult DNS Servers on Network Adapters and installed Kaspersky Safe Kids.

I have Kaspersky Safe Kids Premium, but the Free version is good too. KSK Safe Search supports search results on Bing, Google, Mail.ru, Yahoo, and Yandex. It seems the Safe Search feature works heuristically, but it is effective on Search Engines and YouTube. Besides heuristics (or Artificial Intelligence) blocking, KSK locks SafeSearch on Google but not on Bing. I did not try other search engines.

You may share your Parental Control setup.

Ostatnia edycja:

khanyash

Bardzo aktywny
Ekspert
Reakcje/Polubienia
I didn't try OpenDNS as I use Kaspersky Safe Kids for categories, age-appropriate blocking, monitoring, and reports. I liked that KSK heuristics or AI block adult and inappropriate text searches on Search Engines and YouTube.

Are you using OpenDNS Home Free or VIP?

I did try OpenDNS Family Shield DNS, CleanBrowsing Family Filter DNS (Free), and AdGuard Family Protection DNS.
OpenDNS Family Shield doesn't have IPv6 DNS.
CleanBrowsing Family Filter Free locks YouTube MODERATE Restricted Mode. The Paid version locks YouTube STRICT Restricted Mode.
AdGuard Family Protection includes ad blocking. I don't want DNS with ad blocking.

Cloudflare Malware and Adult DNS Servers are the fastest for me.

Ostatnia edycja:

khanyash

Bardzo aktywny
Ekspert
Reakcje/Polubienia
I replaced Cloudflare Malware and Adult DNS with Control D Family Friendly DNS.

Control D Family Friendly is the only "Free Family DNS" that locks Strict-Restricted Mode on YouTube.

Do góry