Członek Załogi
Administrator
Reakcje/Polubienia
Miasto
Trololololo
Nowy darmowy Firewall
Features
What makes TinyWall special?

TinyWall includes a combination of features that sets it apart from both commercial and freeware firewalls.

TinyWall does not annoy you with popups at all, yet it is still extremely easy to add exceptions to your firewall rules.
TinyWall actively blocks hundreds of trojans, viruses and worms.
TinyWall does not require you to know about ports, protocols and application details.
TinyWall makes use of network zones, allowing you to specify different behaviour when you're at home, at work or in the public.
TinyWall prevents malicious programs from modifying the settings of Windows Firewall.
TinyWall uses Windows' own firewall for filtering and does not install drivers or other kernel components.

Additional features

Firewall tinkering protection
Optional password lockdown of settings
Three modes: Normal protection, Block all, Allow all
Support for temporary (timed) firewall rules
Option to always allow communication within local LAN
Full IPv6 support
List current connections
100% free and clean software. No fees, no ads, no malware.

The no-popup approach
The problem

Most firewalls are based on the same interaction principles. Basically, whenever an application is trying to access the internet, display a popup asking the user what to do. This is not only often disturbing, but also less secure. On an average computer, a lot of applications are trying to access the internet but not all of them actually require a network connection. Displaying a popup for each app makes it very probable that unneeded applications will gain access to the network, as it increases the likelyhood of the user granting redundant rights to some applications. Also, depending on how a particular firewall works, the user can be asked multiple times for even the same program, which will also lead to the user becoming less aware of what he actually allows.
The solution

TinyWall takes a different approach. It does not display popups that "urge users to allow". In fact, it will not notify you of any blocked action. Instead of showing popups, TinyWall makes it easy to whitelist or unblock applications by different means. For example, you can just initiate whitelisting by a hotkey, then click on a window that you want to allow. Or, you can select an application from the list of running processes. (Of course, the traditional way of selecting an executable also works.) This approach avoids popups but still keeps the firewall very easy to use. It will also limit the list of unblocked programs to those that the user really needs, which is optimal from a security standpoint.

TinyWall comes with a list of built-in - so called - communication profiles. They allow users to define tight rules around any application, without having to know about networking protocols or application details. All a user needs to tell TinyWall is that "this application is a web browser" and "that is an e-mail client". Sometimes not even that, since TinyWall comes with a built-in list of safe software, with already defined communication profiles. If a user is unblocking a program that TinyWall recognizes and knows its "communication pattern", there is no need to ask the user anything. The authenticity of executables is checked using digital certificates or digests, making sure that the software in question is not infected, or that it is not a virus cloaking itself under a different filename.
About the firewall technology

Microsoft started to include its own firewall product in versions of Windows XP, known as "Windows Firewall". That firewall however, had seriously limited capabilities and usefulness, making a separate firewall product more than desirable. This bad reputation of Windows Firewall is still existent today, although somewhat unjust. In fact, newer versions of the operating system, Vista and Windows 7 include a totally new firewall technology, known as "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security". This newer version corrects most of the defects of its predecessor, and is capable of filtering IP packets based on various protocols, local or remote ports, addresses, subnetworks, application and packet direction etc., separately or in combination. It turns out, it possesses almost everything a man could ask from a firewall engine. So why is Windows Firewall still fighting its reputation? Mainly:

Bad default configuration. Windows Firewall's default configuration is insecure and annoying, and only does filtering in one direction.
Bad user interface. Do you know how to fine tune the built-in firewall of Windows? Do you know where to find its detailed options? Do you dare to edit its rules?
Insecure accessability. The firewall in Windows can be controlled by any application with sufficient privileges. In fact, multiple malicious programs are known to disable it. What use is a firewall if it can be bypassed by what it is trying to protect you from?
Historical reasons. People tend to think it is the same useless product found in Windows XP.

TinyWall addresses most of these problems: TinyWall 1) gives Windows Firewall a sane and secure configuration and 2) presents you with a simple interface where you can easily define what has network access and what not, while 3) preventing other programs from modifing or overwriting your firewall settings.
Zaloguj lub Zarejestruj się aby zobaczyć!

Program jest bardzo prosty w obsłudze i zużywa znikome ilości zasobów systemowych, jak na razie przeznaczony jest dla systemów Vista i 7
x9UZA.png

GVtsCl.png

o9m1Yl.png

OXYGEN THIEF

Bardzo aktywny
Członek Załogi
Administrator
Reakcje/Polubienia
Miasto
Trololololo
Beta 2 wydana
Changelog:
- Fixed a bug that caused the TW service to crash when whitelisting other services
- Uninstallation no longer requires a reboot
- Renamed option 'Prompt for profile association for recognized applications'
- Connections window no longer needs admin privileges
- Correct UI glitch when resizing Connections window
- Connections window remembers position, size and has min/max buttons
- In the list of application exceptions, mark services with "Srv:" prefix and output service name instead of executable
- In the settings window, rename button "OK" to "Apply". This is to clarify that changes are not saved until Apply is clicked.
- Fix: password dialog was sometimes hidden behind another window. Make sure it comes to front when shown.
- New application profiles included

A

Anonymous

BETA 3:
Hello everybody, I've uploaded Beta3. This time, unlike in the previous version, we have some major new features and I really hope you'll like it.
The changelog is also longer than before, and it is not even everything. This changelog only lists the user-visible changes, but on the inside quite a lot has changed too. Of course it also means a higher risk of regressions, but what can I say... let's just hope for the best.

Changelog:
- New feature: new firewall mode: Allow all outgoing connections (still blocks inbound)
- New feature: Automatic detection of installed software (needs to be started manually)
- New feature: Self-update capability
- New feature: Recognition of applications has been extended to services also
- More reliable and faster sync between controller and service
- Update without losing existing settings (if possible)
- "Allow outbound" is the new default profile instead of "Blind trust" for unknown applications.
- New "Block" metaprofile
- Metaprofiles are hard-coded now so that TinyWall stays usable even with a corrupted database.
- Refactored "Machine Exceptions" page into the "Special Exceptions" page
- Sometimes settings window could show up behind other windows. Bring to front when shown.
- Removed duplicate icon resources
- Fix: Controller crashes if trying to modify an exception for which there is no executable
- Some misc. issues resolved I didn't track in the changelog
- New application profiles

You will lose your settings when upgrading to Beta3, this was unavoidable as the database format for the settings has changed. However, future updates should preserve your settings (unless I break the database format again, but I'll try to avoid that).

Let me know how Beta3 works out for you, and as always I'll listen to your feedback. You have been really helpfull all along, even without telling me what bugs you or what requests you have, I can see where to improve just by listening to your questions. So please stay with me and your're reward is going to be a polished little TinyWall that you're waiting for. Again, thanks for helping me.

OXYGEN THIEF

Bardzo aktywny
Członek Załogi
Administrator
Reakcje/Polubienia
Miasto
Trololololo
Ciekawie się zapowiada ten Firewallek a raczej rozszerzenie systemowego FW.

OXYGEN THIEF

Bardzo aktywny
Członek Załogi
Administrator
Reakcje/Polubienia
Miasto
Trololololo
TinyWall beta 4
- In tray hover popup, output "TinyWall" and firewall mode
- Change text of zone info in menu to more informational style
- When adding auto-detected applications, avoid duplicates if the same apps already exist as exceptions
- Also open tray menu on left mouse click
- Fix controller crash if the app-detection scan is stopped and restarted
- Fix controller could crash on failed update
- Use FIPS compliant algorithms to ensure function on a FIPS-140 enforced system
- Fix TinyWall might not recognize known executable because of case mismatch
- Drastically faster app-detection scan by lazy evaluation of file properties
- Increased communication performance between controller and service
- Prevent losing existing connections when switching firewall mode from Normal to Outbound
- Show application icons on the Application Exceptions tab
- Mark deleted/missing executables with special icon in Application Exceptions tab
- It is possible to request update as non-admin, but then user will be asked to elevate
- Fixed that it was possible to update TinyWall in locked state (required some trickery, but it was possible)
- Periodic automatic update check (once in a week, optional)
- If there is a password, automatically lock service after 10 minutes of controller inactivity
- Sometimes the false icon is displayed for the current firewall mode
- Reduce startup times by including pregenerated xml serializers
- Fix desktop load delayed because of TinyWall stalling the SCM
- Log service events to Windows eventlog
- Generate detailed report if the service crashes
- Reduced size

A

Anonymous

Wersja RC :klawik.
Hello everyone,
The Release Candidate is out. This means that this will be basically the first stable release if no further issues are found. It also means that I will only fix bugs or add some new profiles until the stable is out, but I totally cleared my bug list, so you need to search very hard to find something new and common. This release is pretty solid and I encourage everyone to try it out, even those waiting for the final release, because this is virtually identical to it. It is also the first build with compiler optimizations turned on.

Of special note in this release:
- Gracefull handling of disabled Windows Firewall. This should fix the "Failed" problems some of you were experiencing.
- When whitelisting an unknown application by window, the UI no longer freezes temporarily. This has been a bug that's been "bugging me" since pre-beta1, but until now I've never found a way to fix it. I have finally found a solution.
- Support for VPN connections (in Special Exceptions tab)

As I said, my bug-list is empty. Of course there is no such thing as a bug-free software, but it means that that there is none that I currently know of and you are quite unlikely to find one during average use. And just in case you do, that's why this is a release candidate, so that I can go at it one more time should you still find something. And in case noone finds anything, I'll just rewrite the version number to 1.0

Changelog:
- Fix: When whitelisting by window, the profile association window is frozen for multiple seconds
- Fix: When performing scan for installed applications, applications with special rules should not be listed
- Fix: Writing to the crashlog for the very first time fails
- Show found executable path during automatic app scan
- If the service is not running upon controller start, perform more aggressive repair steps than before.
- If the service is not running when opening the tray menu, notify the user instead of just telling him later that an operation failed.
- Output current zone in tray hover popup
- Support for L2TP/IPSec
- Support for PPTP
- New application profiles
- About box
- Donation possibility
- Minor installer updates
ou can download the newest version from -http://tinywall.pados.hu/download.php- or you can use the built-in updater if you've already got a recent beta installed.

OXYGEN THIEF

Bardzo aktywny
Członek Załogi
Administrator
Reakcje/Polubienia
Miasto
Trololololo
TinyWall RC2
Changelog:
- Fix: Disable Windows Error Reporting for TinyWall to prevent generating disk-eating report files
- Fix: Do not crash if Windows Firewall logs are absent, but continue without monitoring
- Fix: Check startability not just for direct service dependencies, but for the whole dependency graph
- Fix: Prevent controller crash when doing "Whitelist by window" on an app that has higher privileges
- Fix: Skype Home and Contacts cannot load
- Fix: Steam unable to browse store
- A new, more general method for crash handling
- Separate "Web browser" from "HTTP(S) client" profile
- Add streaming capabilities to "Web browser" profile
- Also allow port 25 for e-mail clients. This is just a hack for lousy providers.
- New applications support (mostly some download managers)
- Add "Important notice" page to setup
- If the uninstaller is not started using the tray application, notify the user about the correct way to uninstall

OXYGEN THIEF

Bardzo aktywny
Członek Załogi
Administrator
Reakcje/Polubienia
Miasto
Trololololo
Nowa beta Tiny Wall v3
Changelog:​
- Profile updates for network printers and remote desktop​
- Fix trying to unset password results in user lockout​
- Fix parts of exit code not run when service is shutting down​
- Fix GUI crashes if local config differs from service​
- Fix tray menu entry visibility issue after (un)setting password​
- Fix specified ports not shown in GUI when editing an existing rule​
- Fix WF compatibility rules can be added multiple times​
- New feature: Password-locked service requires the password to uninstall​

Do góry